[Tagging] How to tag way with two traffic signs affecting different directions?

António Madeira antoniomadeira at gmx.com
Sat May 2 20:21:27 UTC 2020

Às 15:36 de 02/05/2020, Philip Barnes escreveu:
> Hi António
> Normally I would add direction:forward or direction:backward to a stop
> or give_way to indicate which direction it applies in.
>
> Where speed limits are different you can use maxspeed:backward and
> maxspeed:forward.
>
> Phil (trigpoint)

Phil, you need to read more carefully what's this about, because it's
way more complex than that.

Às 16:47 de 02/05/2020, Jarek Piórkowski escreveu:
> António, interesting question. In my interpretation, relation
> type=enforcement seems to be intended for recording or punishing
> violations of rules (wiki "devices that measure and document traffic
> violations") - not for the restrictive rules themselves.
>
> Instead, maybe type=restriction + restriction=stop, with
> from-to-via-position? It's not widely used, but it does have a couple
> of mappers: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/restriction=stop
>
> Possible examples:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/3884744 except with "to" as a
> way rather than node
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2966044 except probably with
> the to-way split at the intersection
>
> traffic_sign:lanes looks like it would also work, and the existing
> examples seem a bit more fleshed out than for restriction=stop -
> depends if you prefer :lanes tags or relations, I suppose.

This is an open issue for several years, without a seamless solution,
but I see this popping up many times when mapping.
I'm not very knowledgable about relations, and I'm sorry if I'm a bit
confused here, but doesn't a restriction relation means the exact
opposite of what's intended here?
I mean, I want to apply a STOP sign to a given lane (in a way with two
lanes, for example) and force its action to a given direction on the new
road ahead.
The wiki page for this type of relation doesn't mention STOP nor GIVEWAY
signs, but in the discussion page there this:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Relation:restriction#Incorporate_.27give_way.2Fyield.27_and_.27stop.27_as_possible_restrictions

If neither relation scheme (enforcement or restriction) can be applied
here (for complexity or incompatibility reasons), why not use the
existing lanes scheme?
Like this:

|highway=stop stop:lanes=yes|no stop:turn:lanes=left |