[Tagging] 'amenity:hospital' at university hospitals?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon May 4 10:28:04 UTC 2020

Am Mo., 4. Mai 2020 um 11:50 Uhr schrieb Lena Essig <leessig4 at gmail.com>:

> Hello,
> during mapping hospitals I found some university hospitals which are
> inside a university terrain. They are tagged with "buidling:hospital" -
> without an amenity tag, and some which are tagged with "building:hospital"
> AND "amenity:hospital".
> In most cases the university terrain is used as the terrain outline of the
> hospital.
> Ususally hospitals should be tagged like this:
> - hospital building: "building:hospital"
> - hospital terrain outline: "amenity:hospital"
> Of course there can also be address informatione etc. ([1]
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dhospital>)
>
> One example can be found in Heidelberg, Germany:
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/26946230#map=15/49.4194/8.6670
> There is only the university terrain (with amenity=university), and the
> hospital building is tagged as "building:hospital".
>
> They did it differently in Tübingen, Germany.
> All university campuses, which are spread over several locations, are in a
> relation
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8639592#map=15/48.5305/9.0585, and
> some pieces of them are tagged with "amenity:hospital":
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/89132589.
>
> Now what is the right way? 'amenity: university' on university campuses,
> and around the hospitals another campus with 'amenity: hospital'? Or both
> tags, 'amenity: hospital' and 'building: hospital', to the hospital
> building?

assuming you meant "=" rather than ":", there is generally a problem with
universities. You cannot assume "amenity=university" to mean 1 piece of
university (and for example expect that a city with 3 universities will
have 3 objects with the tag "amenity=university". In real osm tagging,
amenity=university means either a university or a part of an university,
and for amenity=hospital it is mostly the same.

The key "building" always refers _only_ to a building, and its
architectural type (if the value is different than yes or no). So
building=hospital means a building errected as hospital,
building=university means a university building. It hasn't implications on
the current use. The function "a working university" or "a working
hospital" are tagged with amenity tags (and should comprise the grounds).
Generally, "building=hospital" is never sufficient to represent a hospital,
you will always need amenity=hospital (or maybe some similar amenity or
healthcare tag like clinic), and the same holds true for universities (and
any other function).

I am fairly aware of the situation in Tübingen, and it is indeed
complicated. There are 2 main sites for the hospital (which is also part of
the university), the "Altklinikum" and the newer "Kliniken Berg", and there
are also more sites that are situated in yet different locations. Both
sites contain different hospitals (which have their own directors, but then
there is also a general director for everything). There are also facilities
which do not belong to a specific hospital, e.g. for washing, cooking,
power plants and heating, etc., and there are research facilities which
belong to the university and maybe (not sure about this) to a hospital, but
where no healthcare is provided.

Truth is we do not have good semantic tagging yet to represent and
distinguish these different levels and hierarchies.

Cheers,
Martin