[Tagging] Tag:amenity=motorcycle_taxi not approved

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 23:30:20 UTC 2020

On Sun, 10 May 2020 at 00:08, François Lacombe <fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Finally, Paul, I find your point about taxonomy thinking interesting and
> will try to develop it a bit in future.

I'm starting to wonder if the taxonomy adopted is influenced by the language
of the person doing the classifying.  If people speaking one language are
more likely to see 4-wheel and 2-wheel taxis as variants than people
speaking
a different language.  If true, I have absolutely no idea how this helps
the list
reach consensus about anything. :)

Query tools are really important to consume data and my point wasn't to
> downgrade tagging readability in general (nor to encourage K9842=V2179).

The taxonomy adopted by the person making the query will influence how
useful that person finds the results.

To me tourists and query tools users can only be the same persons at
> different time. I've never used overpass to locate myself in any train
> station, that's all.

I could see myself using it in a largem strange city to find the nearest
taxi rank to
where i am.  I could see the local government of that city embedding an
overpass
query in uMap to create a map showing all taxi ranks in the city.

> In proposal, arguing amenity=taxi/amenity=motorbike_taxi will better
> prevent errors than amenity=taxi + vehicle=* doesn't convince me : mappers
> are always able to confuse two services, whatever the tagging they use can
> be.

Thinking about it, there's another factor: if various cartos will render an
ojek
rank differently from a taxi rank.  If you use amenity=taxi + vehicle=* you
guarantee that any carto which renders amenity=taxi will render ojek ranks
incorrectly at first, and perhaps incorrectly for all time (if they decide
they're
going to ignore the vehicle tag).  If you use amenity=motorbike_taxi you
guarantee that all cartos will initially not render it at all, but that
eventually
some of them will (but you have no guarantee they won't then render it
identically to amenity=taxi).

I can't decide which of those two alternatives I prefer.

--
Paul