[Tagging] track vs footway, cycleway, bridleway or path

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Thu May 21 21:48:00 UTC 2020

May 21, 2020, 23:15 by miketho16 at gmail.com:

> On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 1:35 PM Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <> tagging at openstreetmap.org> > wrote:
> >

> > May 21, 2020, 19:20 by > miketho16 at gmail.com> :
> >
> > So are we saying highway=path/cycleway/footway implies width<3 (or some similar value)?
> >
> > Yes, but it may be larger. Especially busy cycleway, or cycleway on curve, or cycleway
> > on a slope may be noticeably larger.
> >
> > There is also an old problem how large footway should be to qualify as a pedestrian road,
> > with varied opinions.
> Would you also say then that a way tagged as highway=path/footway/cycleway, width=4 would be an error?

It is not an automatic error.

Cycleway bridge https://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=50.03088&mlon=19.81907#map=19/50.03088/19.81907
is quite wide, still it is clearly a cycleway.

Some areas with heavy tourism and slowly recovering nature may have extremely wide paths,
Czerwone Wierchy in Tatra Mountains are one of sad cases.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Czerwone_Wierchy_widok_w_stron%C4%99_Tatr_Wysokich.jpg
It is certainly path (tagged as highway=path or highway=footway)

> General comment: I am happy to map/tag in any internally consistent way according to community consensus.  However, when it comes to the highway=* tag, it seems that we have a mix of functional classification and physical classification, which is confusing.

It is functional classification, except highway=motorway.

For simplicity and to avoid discussions people try to assign them some administrative
matches (maybe it works in UK as OSM copied UK administrative classification),
people try to assign physical classification.

There are unpaved highway=trunk, there are paved highway=track and so on.

> A way that is used to access a private residence from a public road is highway=service, service=driveway (functional classification), unless it is too long (exact distance not specified), or too rough (physical classification).

Way used solely to access a private residence is always highway=service, service=driveway no matter
whatever it is short, long, paved, unpaved, lit, unlit, ugly or 22 lanes wide.

Why you think that "too rough" driveway is no longer highway=service, service=driveway?
(if based on poor wiki docs then I would be happy to fix, if it is based on iD presets then
I would not recommend using iD presets to learn how OSM tagging works - there are
some problematic cases like peculiar description of highway=track that are deliberately
unfixed)

> If this is confusing for an experienced mapper and geodata geek, how are data users/consumers supposed to figure this out?

Use OSM Wiki, use taginfo, look at data - if confused ask on mailing list (or elsewhere).