[Tagging] Fwd: Section numbers in hiking routes

Peter Elderson pelderson at gmail.com
Sat May 23 19:29:24 UTC 2020

The refs for the routes I check are sparse, but they are signed here and
there. The legs/sections  have the same ref, e.g. LAW12, but nowhere on the
streets can you find the section numbers. They are found on the official
website and in the printed guides. Sometimes they were added to the ref,
but then you get refs like LAW01-1-06A-1, showing on hiking maps
(Netherlands Coast Trail =LAW01, part 1, section 6 alternative, day 1).
That doesn't help anyone and just clobbers the map!

Just having 06A-1 as a ref is even worse for the user. The answer is to
keep the ref as LAW06, and put the section information in a section ref.
The two together can be used for ordered lists, the map just displays the
ref, and the section ref is helpful when editing/ordering the relation
hierarchy.

This does not solve the problem for international superroutes. These tend
to be more like collections of routes with very different
attrbutes and  tagging styles. But I think it does not hurt either. That
issue can be addressed later!

Peter Elderson