[Tagging] any valid usage of admin_level=1 ?

Phake Nick c933103 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 14:56:21 UTC 2020

在 2020年5月25日週一 21:39,Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging <
tagging at openstreetmap.org> 寫道:

> May 25, 2020, 15:27 by colin.smale at xs4all.nl:
>
> On 2020-05-25 14:58, Marc M. wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> following a small thread on irc, I have review 20 usage of admin_level=1
> all are mistakes, often by new mapper
> for ex https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/779838275
> is there a case of real use of admin_level=1?
> wiki only said that UE isn't a admin_level=1
> but don't list any valid usage of it
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative#Super-national_administrations
> https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Umf
>
> are these all errors or is there an undocumented usecase ?
>
> I think the European Union is a good candidate for admin_level=1. It has
> all the attributes of an administration, including elected representatives
> and (in some cases) directly effective laws. It may be unique in the world,
> but that doesn't change the duck-test outcome.
>
> I agree that European Union seems to be a sole viable candidate.
>
> I don't get
> "trans-national administration is not a super-national organization"
> argument, EU clearly has administration, de facto (also de iure?) laws,
> elections and so on.
>
> Though it is area where I am not confident at all, so I am not really
> proposing to do that
> - just that I would not be surprised or opposed.
>
> I fixed https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/779838275 as clearly bogus.

It is in the OpenStreetMap wiki itself that EU is a
super-national.organization:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Dadministrative

What I'm thinking about is, does Realm of New Zealand
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realm_of_New_Zealand count? Those territories
in the realm seems to still have some sort of power over comprosing
territories despite proclaimed independence.
Likewise, what about Kingdom of Denmark (relation 9110211)? It is now being
tagged as an administrative boundary but with no admin_level.
And what about British Crown Dependencies (relation 9110397) and British
Overseas Territory (relation 3969434)? The British Crown Dependencies is
now tagged as boundary=historic which seems wrong to me as it's still
current. The British Overseas Territory is tagged as
boundary=administrative but with no admin_level key.