[Tagging] Examples at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Fri May 29 10:56:08 UTC 2020

On 2020-05-29 12:38, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> Am Fr., 29. Mai 2020 um 12:32 Uhr schrieb Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:
>
> On 2020-05-29 08:29, Arne Johannessen wrote:
>
> Here's an example for such a situation:
> (9)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Big_single-family_home_2.jpg
>
> I expect this driveway is on private property. But I see nothing supporting the use of the access=private tag here.
> You are not allowed to enter it without a valid reason. That's private. Just because the gate is open does not give you the right to enter.

Which gate? I do not see any gate, nor fence, nor does it seem clear
where the private property begins. (No signs either).

Sorry, I think I had a different photo in mind. It's pretty clear that
the footway is associated with the road, so if you have access to the
road, you can walk on that footway. But between the footway and the
house you have to assume it is associated with the house, and you have
no right to walk on the grass or walk on the driveway, although there
are legitimate reasons to do so. Depending on the jurisdiction, the
landowner may be able to bring a case against you. It's access=private.
You have to assume you have no right to be anywhere, unless you have
reason to believe you are allowed. That's the law (in England and NL at
least). But that doesn't mean you can never enter, just that you need a
"qualifying reason" to do so.