[Tagging] Examples at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access

Arne Johannessen arne at thaw.de
Fri May 29 11:57:38 UTC 2020

Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> On 2020-05-29 08:29, Arne Johannessen wrote:
>

>>> (9)  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Big_single-family_home_2.jpg
>>>
>>> I expect this driveway is on private property. But I see nothing supporting the use of the access=private tag here.
>
> [...] It's access=private.

Obviously, I disagree.

> You have to assume you have no right to be anywhere, unless you have reason to believe you are allowed. That's the law (in England and NL at least). But that doesn't mean you can never enter, just that you need a "qualifying reason" to do so.

Hmm, I think I may finally start to see your point.

Let me ask you this though: Do you see a clear distinction in terms of access rights between
(a) areas anyone is allowed to visit without pre-clearance based on a "qualifying reason", and
(b) areas off-limits to everyone unless pre-clearance is obtained?

If so, what should the tagging look like, in your opinion?

An example for (a) might be an English driveway looking like example (9) above.
An example for (b) might be the Sellafield nuclear site.

--
Arne Johannessen
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Arne_Johannessen>