[Tagging] Update - RFC - Special Economic Zones

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 05:23:48 UTC 2020

I would say that the Chinese mapping community should decide which of these
areas fit the definition of an SEZ, and tag those areas accordingly.  The
Wikipedia article on SEZs (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_economic_zone) has both a definition
as well as a list of sub-categories of SEZs that local mappers can apply to
specific zones.

This proposal does not create a fully-comprehensive tagging scheme for
SEZs.  The different types of SEZs that you note perhaps ought to have new
tagging invented in order to indicate the specific types of SEZ or any
other characteristic.  I would welcome that as a follow-on proposal to
provide further definition and specificity to SEZ tagging.  This proposal
is deliberately and narrowly focused on gaining consensus on the top level
tag only (all SEZs are tagged boundary=special_economic_zone), while
leaving open the question of what further sub-tagging might be necessary to
more specifically tag these areas.