[Tagging] religous bias - Feature Proposal - Voting - (Chapel of rest)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:52:24 UTC 2020

On Thu, 5 Nov 2020 at 18:56, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm not able to find any website which clearly talks about a specific
> "mourning room", though it is certainly documented that the front room of a
> house, often known as a "parlour" at the time, would be used to view the
> corpse of a deceased family member.

https://www.vintag.es/2018/01/living-room-what-we-call-today-was.html

https://blogsurabhi.wordpress.com/2013/03/09/what-is-the-origin-of-the-term-living-room/

Those two aren't entirely independent but each provides details the other
omits.

> Do you have a link? Do you think that anyone in the 2000s is likely to be
> confused by the term amenity=mourning_room?

I haven't encountered anyone using it but then I've rarely been in a
situation where such a room was discussed.

When I search for "mourning room" with google i get a few links
to pages actually using the term and a lot of links to pages about living
rooms, sitting rooms and parlours.  Nothing for chapels of rest (or
whatever we end up calling them), just rooms in private houses.
Google search results are personalized, but I can't think of any reason it
would be giving me these particular results.  So it appears that google
still
thinks a mourning room is a room in a private house.

--
Paul