[Tagging] What is a saltbox?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Nov 6 12:59:47 UTC 2020

Feb 12, 2020, 20:39 by osm at lepiller.eu:

> Le 12 février 2020 14:26:26 GMT-05:00, Michael Brandtner via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> a écrit :
> >Hi,
> >we have a big inconsistency between different wiki pages and editors
> >how we define the roof shape "saltbox".
> >1) A saltbox is a roof with a tilted part at left and right side and a
> >flat part on top. This definition can be found at:
> >https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_buildings
> >It is used for example in the presets of the Vespucci editor.
>

> >2) A saltbox is a roof with only one tilted part (usually directed at
> >the road) and one flat part on top. On the other side it goes straight
> >down. The roof shape described at 1) is a double_saltbox.
> >This definition can be found
> >at:https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/DE:OSM-4D/Roof_table
>

> >This definition is for example used by the StreetComplete editor.
>

> >This is a serious issue, because it means that for none of the over
> >3,000 buildings with the tag roof:shape=saltbox we can know which shape
> >it actually has.
>

> >Cheers,Michael
>
> Also for some reason, this tag is different from what wikipedia describes a saltbox to be: > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saltbox_house

I edited https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:Roof:shape to note the problem
what is visible on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:roof:shape
and https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Simple_3D_buildings

If someone cares about roof:shape values the best solution would be to propose new
values for involved shaped and deprecate saltbox value.

 (I am certainly not going to do this, may TODO list is far too long to do this
even if I would live until AD 2650).