[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Fire lookouts

Rob Savoye rob.savoye at hotosm.org
Tue Nov 10 22:03:05 UTC 2020

On 11/10/20 2:16 PM, Jake Low wrote:

> This proposal suggests introducing two new tag values: building=fire_lookout to indicate that a building is or was originally built to be a fire lookout, and emergency=fire_lookout to indicate that a feature (usually a building=* or man_made=tower) is used for fire spotting.

  Fire lookouts towers are unfortunately being shut down all over the
place these days. But this brings up an interesting point. Many rural
fire departments have "lookout locations", often used for smoke
sightings. We have several in my district that get used heavily, never
though about tagging them as anything but a nice view. Basically these
are high places you can get to easily and get clear compass bearings on
the smoke plume. We get many smoke sightings from illegal campfires, so
use these locations frequently. When you're driving around in the
forest, you can't see anything, so two bearings lets us triangulate a
rough GPS location, and have everyone go there.

  I don't have a suggestion on tagging, sorry, but sometimes these
locations have parking, sometimes it's a short hike uphill. So consider
something more flexible.

	- rob -
--
Senior Tech Lead