[Tagging] Feature proposal - RFC - Place of mourning (replacing "Chapel of rest")

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 20:06:20 UTC 2020

See comments on the last proposal:

"*It is redundant. I really don't understand why we need another tag for a
room or building where families and friends can come and view someone who
has died before their funeral. The tag shop=funeral_directors fits
perfectly the definition of this new tag proposal (please read it) I quote
the definition for funeral_directors: "An event (a place) to honor the
deceased for mourners are held here in conjunction with religious services
which are held elsewhere". And the tag amenity=funeral_hall can be used
instead, in the case that religious ceremonies (any creed) are allowed in
the building. Funeral Halls in many countries (as mine [México]) help
mourners with all the administrative documentation as Funeral Directors do.
If we want to have a tag for every possible difference in all countries we
will have a myriad of tags and a complete confussion on which tag to use.*"

*"I note that the English Wikipedia page Funeral_home directs to Funérarium
in French, which is the term described in the lede. Similarly, I am also
having trouble understanding where the distinction is between the two."*

*"my Oxford defines "chapel of rest" as "an undertaker's mortuary, where
bodies are kept before a funeral" and does not reflect on the visitation
aspect at all"*

You need to explain this on the new proposal page. Note that on
Tag:shop=funeral_directors
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dfuneral_directors> it says *"an
event (sometimes with the deceased's body present) to honor the deceased
for mourners are held here in conjunction with religious services which are
held elsewhere."* Also Tag:amenity=mortuary
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dmortuary> says "A morgue
or funeral home" which might include a place for a viewing. --Jeisenbe
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Jeisenbe>(talk
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User_talk:Jeisenbe>) 20:05, 12
November 2020 (UTC)