[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - electricity=*

Lukas Richert lrichert at posteo.de
Sat Nov 14 16:53:54 UTC 2020

Hi François,

the combination of electricity:grid=yes with either electricity:origin=*
or electricity:grid:origin=* would point to the origin being only about
financial flows as advertised on-the-ground.

For the purpose of filtering out amenities, e.g. charging stations, that
only use 'green' electricity it is still useful to tag
electricity:origin=* or electricity:generator:origin=* in combination
with electricity:generator=yes. Alternatively, there would need to be a
tagged relation to the specific generator and the end users it supplies
which would be considerably harder to query and many OSM editers seem to
find relations confusing. Therefore, I think the slight bit of
redundancy is useful to explicitly tag this on the amenity. Furthermore,
the word 'origin' is used, not only to avoid two tags with very similar
meanings that can be easily distinguished by combination with the
infrastructure tag, but also since 'electricity:source' would then have
a double meaning with 'the survey/map/place where the knowledge of the
electricity was obtained', which is apparently a problem for some other
tags using source as a keyword.

Cheers,

Lukas