[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - electricity=*

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 19:07:53 UTC 2020

Thank you Lukas for answers

Le sam. 14 nov. 2020 à 17:56, Lukas Richert <lrichert at posteo.de> a écrit :

> Hi François,
>
> the combination of electricity:grid=yes with either electricity:origin=*
> or electricity:grid:origin=* would point to the origin being only about
> financial flows as advertised on-the-ground.

Agree with that.
electricity:grid:origin isn't part of the proposal, will we have to approve
it?

> For the purpose of filtering out amenities, e.g. charging stations, that
> only use 'green' electricity it is still useful to tag electricity:origin=*
> or electricity:generator:origin=* in combination with
> electricity:generator=yes.

Don't agree with that :)
This filtering won't be accurate at all and will encourage people to think
claimed origin through a power grid is equivalent to certainty of locally
obtained electricity (which isn't)
I'm clearly against any association between a generator device and 'origin'
word. electricity:origin should relate to grid/market only and remain a
claim with no physical reality.

> Alternatively, there would need to be a tagged relation to the specific
> generator and the end users it supplies which would be considerably harder
> to query and many OSM editers seem to find relations confusing. Therefore,
> I think the slight bit of redundancy is useful to explicitly tag this on
> the amenity.

Understood, that would enable to check consistency as well.

> Furthermore, the word 'origin' is used, not only to avoid two tags with
> very similar meanings that can be easily distinguished by combination with
> the infrastructure tag

I respectfully disagree, they don't have a similar meaning in many
situations.
Merging both in a single key will only be accurate when the claim is
equivalent to local production which isn't necessary: you buy solar energy
and backup with diesel more often than backup with solar.

> , but also since 'electricity:source' would then have a double meaning
> with 'the survey/map/place where the knowledge of the electricity was
> obtained', which is apparently a problem for some other tags using source
> as a keyword.

i'm currently thinking about refine generator:* subkeys and it's sure this
discussion will be really inspiring.
Indeed source should be avoided and I keep that in mind.
In power context "source" refers to inputs and as we already have
generator:output, why shouldn't we have generator:input?
generator:input=wind
input:wind=X kW
output:electricity= Y kW

All the best