[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - electricity=*

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 17:43:55 UTC 2020

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 at 17:24, Lukas Richert <lrichert at posteo.de> wrote:

The possible values for any of these subkeys is then yes/backup/no (i.e.
> electricity:battery=no), where *yes *means the device/grid is always
> connected and it is usually (daily?) used. The term *backup* then means
> that the device is only used when the usual device reaches its capacity or
> fails, so it is not always on/connected.

I'm not committing to supporting or opposing this scheme, just bikeshedding.
But it's a BIG bikeshed.

It isn't as simple as your tagging scheme makes out.

A photovoltaic system for a house may charge batteries, which come into
play when there is no sun (it's night or it's too cloudy).  There is no grid
connection at all.

A photovoltaic system for a house may provide electricity when it can,
with the grid providing electricity when the photovoltaic system cannot.
There are no batteries involved.

A photovoltaic system for a house not only provides electricity for the
house, it also feeds electricity into the grid (for which the owner gets
a rebate on the bill) with the grid supplying power when the
photovoltaic system cannot.  There are no batteries involved.

As either of the preceding two cases, but with batteries also involved.

Electric vehicles may be used as storage capacity for the grid.  When
they're on charge (usually at night) they may supply power to the
grid to cope with brief increases in demand (people putting the
kettle on during TV adverts).  I don't know if any current systems
do so, but it would be possible for the car to provide household
electricity for a while during a power outage.

I've probably missed something.  Your tagging either needs to
cover less cases or more.

--
Paul