[Tagging] Tagging Cycle Route Relations vs. Ways

Hidde Wieringa hidde at hiddewieringa.nl
Mon Nov 16 18:15:57 UTC 2020

You indicate that you are aware that relations aren't categories [1]. So
indeed, grouping elements which share a certain tag is not useful.
Finding nodes/ways that contain a certain tag is easily possible with
specialized query tooling such as the Overpass API [2]. Data duplication
across elements is not really an issue, and simplicity and correctness
are more important.

What do you mean by the "primary relation for a way"? Relations group
elements together, and as such a way can be part of any number of
relations. The way itself does not 'know' if it is part of any relations
(although you could query such information).

I want to mention tools like Osm2pgsql [3] which transforms the OSM data
model to a relational database such as PostgreSQL. You can import vast
amounts of data and pre-process it for your specific application if you
so desire. You could group certain information together if your use-case
would benefit from it.

Kind regards,
/Hidde Wieringa/

[1]