[Tagging] lanes - is "parking allowed" a parking lane?

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Thu Nov 19 14:17:37 UTC 2020

Hello all

First of all, in the past, we have explored many edge cases for the
lanes-tag in various discussions and I am happy that for the most part,
it seems to be quite well defined by now. However, there is one edge
case which is not uncommon at all but still unclear or awkward to tag.
Look at this:

https://westnordost.de/misc/2or1lanes.jpg

It is a residential road marked clearly for 2 lanes, so it seems obvious
to tag it with lanes=2. But on the other hand, you'll notice that there
are parking cars on the right side that effectively render the right
lane unusable. These parking cars would (currently) be tagged I believe as

parking:lane:right=parallel
parking:lane:right:parallel=on_street

And the wiki states

 > And the following lanes should be excluded:
 > [...] Parking lanes [...]

So here is an ambiguity in the documentation. On the one hand, if the
road has marked lanes, the number of marked lanes should be tagged, on
the other hand, there are these kind of "parking lanes" which do not
have their own space marked as a parking lane but simply absorb the
space assigned to normal car traffic. In OSM tagging, these are also
"parking:lane"s as far as I know.

We need to dissolve this ambiguity by defining a way how to distinguish
between these two cases:

https://westnordost.de/misc/parallel_parking_lane.png
(1) a dedicated parallel parking lane. This lane should not count as a
lane in the lanes-tag.
(2) (parallel) parking is allowed (and used). This should be irrelevant
for the lane count.

My suggestion would be
(1) parking:lane:*:parallel = lane
(2) parking:lane:*:parallel = on_street

Maybe especially those who recently involved themselves with parking
lane tagging out and about and its documentation could also state their
point of view here. According to the wiki edit history, looks like at
least Mateusz Konieczny, Supaplex030 and Minh Nguyễn were active.
What do you think?

There is also at least one data consumer I know about that is using
parking lane information and displays it visually,
https://github.com/dabreegster/abstreet it would be good to know how
they interpret and visualize the data.

Cheers
Tobias