[Tagging] surface=rock

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Sat Nov 21 16:43:57 UTC 2020

 > rock „pieces“ would be tagged as „stone“ I guess?

Not so sure about that, then it would be surface=stones, (note the
plural) wouldn't it?

---

There is a huge discussion on the #tagging channel on OSM slack (85+
replies) where all those "rocky" surface are being discussed.

Here are some statements from this discussion, also on the difference
between "surface=rock" and "surface=stone". Most from Brian Sperlongano
and Elliott Plack:

- Rock implies a rough naturalness

- Steps made of large (single-piece) hewn stone columns would be called
'stone steps'

- Bare [rock] implies the lack of rubble on top

- Scree is specially loose

- Personally I think bare_rock and stone are synonyms here, unless
someone thinks there's a difference.

- bare_rock has 569 usages, rock has 2759 usages and stone has 6402
usages, scree has 319 usages, rocky has 1400 uses

---

For Germans, I'd say stone roughly translates to "Stein" while rock
translates to "Fels". To summarize the above:

rock = rough natural stone, could be loose stones too
stone = smooth stone / bare rock, could be hewn
bare_rock = probably similar to stone, definitely no loose stones
scree = surface like (large) gravel, natural
rocky = scree is rocky, piles of differently sized rocks are rocky

Tobias