[Tagging] surface=rock

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Nov 21 19:22:54 UTC 2020

Nov 21, 2020, 17:43 by osm at westnordost.de:

>> rock „pieces“ would be tagged as „stone“ I guess?
>>

> Not so sure about that, then it would be surface=stones, (note the plural) wouldn't it?

I am completely fine with both versions.
I created today https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:surface%3Drock
where I described surface=rock as fitting for them - but feel free to change this

> - Rock implies a rough naturalness

+1

> - Steps made of large (single-piece) hewn stone columns would be called 'stone steps'

so surface=stone (surface=stones) would be more fitting for them?

> - Bare [rock] implies the lack of rubble on top

Small amount: yes
Complete lack of it: no.

See for example https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Krywan_podejscie.jpg

Especially for easily eroding rock that is breaking piece by piece some rubble will be always
present.

> - Scree is specially loose

+1

> - Personally I think bare_rock and stone are synonyms here, unless someone thinks there's a difference.

Yes, even if we would invent some differences none would be present in de facto usage
(different areas with different differences and subtle distinctions)

> rock = rough natural stone, could be loose stones too
> stone = smooth stone / bare rock, could be hewn
> bare_rock = probably similar to stone, definitely no loose stones
> scree = surface like (large) gravel, natural
> rocky = scree is rocky, piles of differently sized rocks are rocky

Overall I think that I am fine with surface=rock, but I am not opposed to also other
values (though I am not going to make proposals or wiki pages for them)