[Tagging] Extremely long Amtrak route relations / coastline v. water

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Nov 24 14:44:32 UTC 2020

Nov 24, 2020, 15:09 by walker.t.bradley at gmail.com:

> I’ve seen the micro grants, I’m not talking about funding from OSM Foundation.  Basically if someone could identify a solution to some of the problems that come up in this tagging thread like “updating how X rendering process works”, and the community agrees, an appropriate developer(s) could be hired to fix that, which would enable other things.

I know, I linked it because it was closest thing to what was described and it gives some perspective
about likely funding needed.

> For example more complete and systematic local languages translation, “better” cartographic representation (two weeks ago conversation), more complicated water tags (a frequent topic here), whatever.

Note that the best project would be something that does not require changes to mapped
data to avoid various conflicts.

Not sure what you mean by "more complicated water tags" but it sounds like a poor fit,
if by "more complete and systematic local languages translation" you mean
"setting up rendering server that shows name:en/name:pl/named:de/name:whatever tags,
not just name tag" then it sounds like a something that has decent chances to succed.

> The only “back-end cleanup” proposal I see is the > denied osm2pgsql development <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Osm2pgsql_development>> .

Note that it was funded by OSMF shortly after:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2020-August/085174.html