[Tagging] Extremely long Amtrak route relations / coastline v. water

walker.t.bradley at gmail.com walker.t.bradley at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 14:09:34 UTC 2020

I’ve seen the micro grants, I’m not talking about funding from OSM Foundation.  Basically if someone could identify a solution to some of the problems that come up in this tagging thread like “updating how X rendering process works”, and the community agrees, an appropriate developer(s) could be hired to fix that, which would enable other things.  For example more complete and systematic local languages translation, “better” cartographic representation (two weeks ago conversation), more complicated water tags (a frequent topic here), whatever.  The only “back-end cleanup” proposal I see is the denied osm2pgsql development <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Microgrants/Microgrants_2020/Proposal/Osm2pgsql_development> .

OSMF states that they prefer enabling volunteers, vice paying for work, and these are capped at 5k EUR.  There are ways that work could be directly paid for, which would better enable the entire community.