[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (shop=direct marketing)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Oct 3 00:44:45 UTC 2020

Hi,

On 10/2/20 19:56, Wieland Kestler wrote:
> I agree absolutely that somone who makes bread by itself and sells that
> in front of its house, we should tag it by shop=bakery. So the grade of
> „selfmadeness“ does not matter.

We are not a business directory but a geo database. We map what exists,
and not (or at least not primarily) what services might be offered. If
there is a residential house and every now and then the owner puts out a
table in front and sells bread, then I would say we shouldn't map that
at all. (Map the house, yes, but not map the fact that a resident bakes
bread occasionally.) In order to be mapped in OSM, it needs to have a
physical manifestation - at the very least, a sign, or more desirably
some structure that can be recognised as a shop even while not in use.

Bye
Frederik