[Tagging] meaning of highway=crossing + bicycle=no

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Oct 5 09:19:01 UTC 2020

I always understood
highway=crossing + bicycle=no
tagging to mean "you cannot use this crossing to cross road while cycling,
it does not affect legality of cycling on the road"

Used when
(1) cycleway or footway with allowed cycling is interrupted by
crossing where cyclists are obligated to dismount
(2) there is cycleway/footway with allowed cycling on both sides of
road, it is tagged as cycleway:left/cycleway:right/cycleway:both
and there is pedestrian only crossing at some point
(cyclist cannot switch sides without dismounting)

Or is it a tagging that means "you must dismount while either
using crossing and while cycling on the road",
making this basically useless.

I am asking as there was discussion on OSM Wiki between me
and one other person, with recent edits to OSM Wiki that seems
to misrepresent real tagging practice.

I am considering reverting them, but I wanted to ask here whatever
what I think about tagging practice matches what other consider
as consensus.

See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:highway%3Dcrossing&action=history
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Tag:highway%3Dcrossing#highway.3Dcrossing_with_bicycle.3Dno