[Tagging] railway=station areas

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 10 15:33:50 UTC 2020

On 10/10/2020 00:34, Andrew Harvey wrote:

>     I believe most of this discussion is moot as the *vast* majority of
>     railway=stations are mapped as nodes:
>

> I don't think that makes the point moot since nodes are just a quick
> first pass way to map a station,

railway=station is one of the earliest tags. Given the age of the
project, I'm pretty sure we're beyond 'quick first pass'. especially in
established countries.

> eventually they should all be upgraded to areas.

It appears mappers have decided that's not what's best.

>     Tagging objects should be based on the understanding of what the
>     general
>     consumer of OSM accept it to be, not just a small group of "rail
>     enthusiasts" from Germany.
>

> OSM should as much as possible try to remain agnostic towards a
> specific audience or use, we should strive to both be accurate and
> usable for both train drivers and public transport passengers.

See landuse=railway, railway=signal & railway=switch

> This is not just a matter for rail enthusiasts from Germany.

Indeed.

>      >the railway is from the rail network/infrastructure point of
>     view and
>     public
>     transit from the passenger point of view.
>
>     This seems to be a common misunderstanding by those advocating PTv2.
>

> I'm not advocating PTv2, for a long time it just seemed like
> duplication of tags and a waste but if the ability to separate out the
> rail infrastructure from passenger viewpoint can be done with the
> tagging schema then that's maybe one advantage.

railway=station & PTv2 are separate schemas. They don't interact. If
there's something missing in one, a tag's meaning can't be amended in
the other. This is the misunderstanding.

>     No, it's because the public area is what most people consider to be a
>     'station'. (& most are mapped as nodes)
>

>  but use a new tag for rail infrastructure so you can still correctly
> map the station for train drivers.

Why would train drivers, looking at OSM, need to have just a couple of
signals enclosed inside a polygon?

DaveF