[Tagging] railway=station areas

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 07:16:44 UTC 2020

sent from a phone

> On 10. Oct 2020, at 17:36, Dave F via Tagging <tagging at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
> Why would train drivers, looking at OSM, need to have just a couple of signals enclosed inside a polygon?

did you already have the occasion to ask commuters in your part of the world whether they believe the parts of a train station that are not accessible for the passengers are outside or inside of the station?

Are you mapping train stations as areas? From reading your replies here the impression I get is you are advocating for not extending the representation from a node to an area, right? I do not understand why you are fighting so hard to make a tag useless/superfluous (same meaning as public_transport=station) which you do not even use in this way, and without offering an alternative, all allegedly just for the benefit of the  “ordinary people” from whom you suppose to have a distorted view of the situation, so they are not confused?

Cheers Martin