[Tagging] How do you map traffic signals where right or left turns are allowed or not allowed on a red light?

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 16:11:43 UTC 2020

In North America (since we hate pedestrians) usually it is legal to turn
right at a red light (we drive on the right side of the road, so a right
turn only involves crossing into one lane).

At some intersections where there are many pedestrians, there are signs
that say "no turn on red", or sometimes "no turn on red except bicycles".

Should this be mapped as a Relation:restriction? For example, a relation
with "restriction=no_turn_on_red" + "except=bicycle"?

Alternatively, I see there is a tag used in Europe in the form
"red_turn:right:bicycle=yes" + "red_turn:right=no" - this would mean that
bicycles may turn red at a traffic signal but other vehicles may not turn.
This is documented at https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Red_turn

That tag is also used when right turns are allowed, e.g.
"red_turn:left=yes", when this would not always be expected. It's most
often used in Dresden.

Oddly, it is proposed on the page that you could also use
"red_turn:straight:bicycle=yes" to say that "bicycles are allowed to go
straight at this traffic light when it is red", but this sounds very
strange to me.

I wonder if "red turn" is a translation from German or another language?

-- Joseph Eisenberg