[Tagging] Minibus routes

Michael Tsang miklcct at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 16:02:39 UTC 2020

Dear all,

I'm looking for community consensus about minibus routes (public transport routes which are operated by light passenger vehicles of roughly 8 to 20 seats with no standing allowed in general). As of present, there are two kinds of tagging for minibus routes:

A. route=minibus (~30 routes around the world)
B. route=bus & bus=minibus (~300 routes around the world)

None of the tags seem to have widespread usage.

Currently I can't see any renderer support for both tagging. For option A, no renderer shows them at all. For option B, they are shown as regular bus routes.

Moreover, I can think of different regulatory scenarios, which may match the different usage:

X. The minibus services are regulated as a separate class of service to full-sized bus routes, with different operators, network and fare structures, which may even with numbers overlapping (e.g. a minibus route 25 and another full sized bus route 25 serving the same area)

Y. The minibus services form a part of the bus network but with distinct identities (e.g. a range of numbers reserved for minibus routes and another range for full sized bus routes, with different fare scales but still in the integrated ticket structure)

Z. There are no distinction in the branding between bus and minibus services, the vehicle used mainly depend on the environment.

Tagging A will match scenario X and tagging B will match scenario Z, with scenario Y in between in my thinking.

I'm looking for input how other people map their minibus routes, and how are their routes regulated.

Regards,
Michael