[Tagging] Should the tag proposal process force voters to vote for an option?

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 23:39:20 UTC 2020

On Tue, 13 Oct 2020 at 10:29, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com>
wrote:

> With the exception of the "plurality votes wins" aspect of this, it
> strikes me that this can largely be done today.  Someone could post a wiki
> page with multiple alternatives and ask the community to vote/comment on
> different tagging schemes.  Once a winner emerges, the author could then
> move that specific option to a final yes/no vote on the most popular
> alternative.
>
> If, after that, a >74% yes vote cannot be achieved, there simply is not
> enough community consensus to move forward with the change.

I think for the most part this does happen already through the proposal
draft and feedback, the feedback identifies a few alternatives with one
having a bit more of a majority than the other options, so that one is
selected for the vote, but the vote could still fail to resolve a way to
map something due to the high 75% bar.

For me "there simply is not enough community consensus to move forward with
the change." is the issue because you can effectively lock out certain
valid things from being mapped and consumed in a standard way because there
is no large majority in favour.