[Tagging] What does bicycle=no on a node means?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Oct 16 07:07:00 UTC 2020

Oct 15, 2020, 22:30 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:

>>> Imagine I would add hgv=no or motorcycle=no tags to              pedestrian crossings
>>>
>> Is there a case where hgv use sidewalk together with        pedestrians and cross road using crossing shared with a        pedestrians?
>>
>> Is there a case of sidewalk where hgv are allowed but on        crossing with road oneis supposed to walk carrying your
>> vehicle?
>>
>> Is there some existing usage of hgv=noon crossings?
>>

> Valid questions, but the exact same questions apply for a      pedestrian way crossing a secondary. On that pedestrian way      cyclists are not allowed so what is the use of adding bicycle=no      to the crossing node?

I agree that adding bicycle=no on highway=crossing is pointless on footways with bicycle=no or
where bicycle=no is implied

It is useful solely if cyclists are allowed on cycleway/footway crossing road and are obligated to
dismount if crossing road at that point. (and yes, in most cases, though not all, it can be retagged as
access tagging on way)