[Tagging] What does bicycle=no on a node means?

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 09:51:07 UTC 2020

Martin, please do not even think about deprecating a tagging that is
heavily used.like highway=crossing with bicycke=no|yes|dismount
I am already ignoring the frequent JOSM Warning about the deprecated
crossing=island which JOSM shows me everytime I download a stretch of road
that contains this tagging, not to speak of the tens of warnings of
deprecated tags in bus lines, which I even don't know how to fix, that turn
up everytime I my download area touches a bus line.

I also don't agree with " not worth the benefit of informing cyclists
whether they have to push 4 meters or can drive on the crossing.". To the
contrary, I would like the bicycle routers to inform the cuyclist about the
difference nd send them preferably across bicycle-friendly crossings.
Good bicycle navigation is an important issue, in the context of bike
sharing, and for people who trvel with their folding bikes.

Volker