[Tagging] What does bicycle=no on a node means?

Emvee emvee-osm at gmx.de
Mon Oct 19 20:14:54 UTC 2020

On 19/10/2020 11:51, Volker Schmidt wrote:
> Martin, please do not even think about deprecating a tagging that is
> heavily used.like highway=crossing with bicycke=no|yes|dismount

I do not call highway=crossing with bicycle=no|dismount heavily used. On
some locations the density is higher but on quite some places it is not
used at all. Most people understand after some explanation how routers
are interpreting things and see the problem. An educated guess is that
we are talking about 3000 cases that are problematic.

> I am already ignoring the frequent JOSM Warning about the deprecated
> crossing=island which JOSM shows me everytime I download a stretch of
> road that contains this tagging, not to speak of the tens of warnings
> of deprecated tags in bus lines, which I even don't know how to fix,
> that turn up everytime I my download area touches a bus line.
People differ, I like data consistency and try to fix problems reported
and see it as a good way to learn more about openstreetmap.
> I also don't agree with " not worth the benefit of informing cyclists
> whether they have to push 4 meters or can drive on the crossing.". To
> the contrary, I would like the bicycle routers to inform the cuyclist
> about the difference nd send them preferably across bicycle-friendly
> crossings.
> Good bicycle navigation is an important issue, in the context of bike
> sharing, and for people who trvel with their folding bikes.

First observation is that for 95% of the cases the access rights of the
connection ways suffice, so it can be see as pointless tagging. For the
remaining 5% of the cases, things can be fixed by mapping the actual
length of the crossing as separate osm way with the right access rights.
That way the bicycle routes can make an even better estimate on how long
the crossing takes.