[Tagging] What does bicycle=no on a node means?

Emvee emvee-osm at gmx.de
Mon Oct 19 19:53:46 UTC 2020

On 18/10/2020 10:30, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
> Oct 18, 2020, 10:27 by tagging at openstreetmap.org:
>
>     On 18/10/2020 07:46, Volker Schmidt wrote:
>>     On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 at 09:46, Martin Koppenhoefer
>>     <dieterdreist at gmail.com <mailto:dieterdreist at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>         Generally, I would propose to only tag crossing =* on the
>>         crossing node, but refrain from access like tags on this node
>>         (no bicycle or foot tags). The access should be derived from
>>         the crossing ways.
>>

>>     This statement is only correct if there are crossing ways using
>>     the crossing node.
>>     However, in practical terms it happens very often that in a first
>>     mapping of a road the foot and/or bicycle crossings, as they are
>>     nicely visible on aerial imaging, ar mapped, but not the crossing
>>     foot- and/or cycle-ways, mainly because the details are not
>>     visible on aerial imagery or the mapper is not interested, at
>>     that stage, in foot/cycling details. And the distinction, at
>>     least in Italy, between foot-only and combined foot-cycle
>>     crossing are well visable on satellite imagery. Also
>>     traffic-signals are often clearly visible because of the stop
>>     lines. Hence in that first round it is easy to map crossings and
>>     basic crossing types. The crossing way is then often added later.
>>     To me it comes natural not to remove the existing tagging on a
>>     crossing node when I add a crossing  way later.
>
>     But what is the use of adding bicycle=no/dismount for, let's call
>     it a solitary crossings?
>
> What you mean by "solitary crossing"?
I have been working on code to detect types of crossing, so here you go.

A node marked with highway=crossing that is part of:

   *  one osm way that is not highway=footway/pedestrian/cycleway or
equivalent and where the node is not the end of start of the osm way
    * two osm ways that are both highway=footway/pedestrian/cycleway or
equivalent and where for both osm ways the node is either the end or
start of the osm way

(Did leave out oneway osm ways)

Anythings else is not a solitary crossing.
Do you have a better name?