[Tagging] Proposal to change key:man_made to key:human_made

Robert Delmenico robert at rtbk.com.au
Tue Oct 20 06:30:39 UTC 2020

They mean the same thing, we tag different aspects of a bridge with
different tags.

All bridges are man_made and all bridges are bridges.

Therefore if the tag for man_made=bridge was changed to bridge=yes, and
bridge=yes was used for both ways and areas then this would simplify the
tagging of bridges.

One would then use bridge=construction instead of construction=bridge to
match the standards used in buildings (building=construction).

If you take the buildings for example:
buildings=yes (area) is equivalent to man_made=building (not used) as all
buildings are man_made, yet we don't tag it as man_made rather just
building=yes for areas.

*If building=yes applies to areas, why doesn't bridge=yes apply to areas?*

The same stands for all other man_made tags.

Most common man_made tags:
man_made=pier could become pier=yes
man_made=storage_tank could become storage_tank=yes or
storage_tank=(content)

*Perhaps I'll drop the gender argument and go with man_made is actually not
required and perhaps we should tackle these one-by-one therefore reducing
the immediate changes required.*

Regards,

Rob.