[Tagging] OHV greater than 50 inches (wide)

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 22:03:55 UTC 2020

On Tue, Sep 1, 2020 at 3:46 PM Kevin Broderick <ktb at kevinbroderick.com>

> More likely than prohibiting bikes, the USFS could allow
> non-street-registered OHVs over 50" on a trail, but keep it closed to
> normal street-registered vehicles;
Not sure if I have ever seen that, but we would still need a way of
expressing that.

> in some states, there may also be implications regarding the requirement
> to have the vehicle registered as an OHV, regardless of whether or not it
> has a street plate.
Correct, you may have to have a "tag" for your OHV, even if you don't have
a license for it (at least not the type you get for your regular highway
legal vehicle). In fact, many of these vehicles cannot be licensed for
highway use as the modifications that have been done to them render them
non highway legal.

> I'm not sure that we need a separate access tag, though: is there any case
> where the USFS (or another land manager) allows only those OHVs over 50"?
I am not sure.  I have seen cases where they only allow motorcycles, only
allow motorcycles and ATVs (less than 50 inches), only allow legal licensed
highway vehicles, and only allow legal licensed highway vehicles and
motorcycles ("no ATVs").

> In most cases, I think either maxwidth= or atv:maxwidth= would be
> appropriate, when the question is a max-width of 50", no?
Maybe.  So under this system, if the FS says ATV=yes, OHV_gt_50in=no, in
OSM we would tag atv=yes, maxwidth=1.27 (I think that is the metric
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20200901/9cb1827b/attachment.htm>

More information about the Tagging mailing list