[Tagging] tagging drinking water of uncleaer official (signed) status

Tobias Zwick osm at westnordost.de
Mon Sep 7 09:22:01 UTC 2020

The discussion went astray a bit, partly because I think it was not
clear why Mateusz proposed to use the
drinking_water:legal=yes/no/unknown at all, if there is already the tag
drinking_water=yes/no.

Let me illustrate with some examples. So, these two cases are clear:

  * 1. There is a sign that says you can drink it or it is otherwise
    clear that you can (drinking fountain constructed by muncipality) ->
    drinking_water=yes

  * 2. There is a sign that forbids it or warns that it is contaminated
    -> drinking_water=no

But what about these?

  * 3. There is no sign at all and no clear indication whether it is
    drinkable or not. Water that comes out of a mountain might be
    polluted with toxic substances, especially if it is close to an
    (old) mine.

  * 4. There is a sign that simply says "no drinking water" but it is
    clear from the circumstances that it is. Don't have a good example
    right now, maybe because of insurance, or nearby shop wants to sell
    bottled water.

In case 3, where a surveyor cannot with certainty determine if it should
be drinking_water=yes or no (without trying it himself and waiting if he
becomes ill or not, which can't be expected of the surveyor). So in this
case, he would need to leave drinking_water untagged. But what he can
with certainty record is that there is no official information about it
whatsoever. This is useful because people searching for drinkable water
would certainly prefer water sources where it is positive that it is
drinkable. drinking_water=unknown or drinking_water:signed=no would
solve this, but there is also case 4.

In case 4, the official information would deviate from the actual
situation on-site, which could warrant to record these two informations
separately when necessary.

Cheers
Tobias