[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Utility poles

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 22:23:06 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

Following this sunny summer, sometimes cycling along country roads, here
comes the need to reinforce the tagging of utility poles holding telecom
lines.

OSM already has power=pole and past proposals have shown it's not necessary
to change it.
Poles don't always support power lines and tagging is needed for other
utilities.
Existing man_made=utility_pole sounds to be the most meaningful and this
proposal is now looking for your comments about it
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Utility_poles_proposal

See this French example taking advantage of proposed tagging to show power
and telecom utilities on the same map
http://www.gespot.fr/#12.7/46.04989/6.13389
On this particular place, it was possible to make low voltage power
distribution poles support an overhead transmission fibre optic cable:
http://www.gespot.fr/#17.84/46.066428/6.140358

I'm not sure to cover all existing situations to describe other-than-power
poles with the 4 combinations I propose to replace.
Feel free to complete the list here or on Talk page please

All the best

François