[Tagging] automated edits seem to remove crossing=zebra drastically

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 14:27:29 UTC 2020

Am Mi., 16. Sept. 2020 um 15:26 Uhr schrieb Matthew Woehlke <
mwoehlke.floss at gmail.com>:

> My understanding is that crossing=zebra is deprecated in favor of
> crossing=uncontrolled / crossing=traffic_signals.

there are many issues with "uncontrolled", especially if you use it to
intend a zebra crossing (as road markings are a kind of control).
crossing=zebra and traffic_signals are not synonymous.

What strikes me is the raise of "marked", which used to be a niche tag for
crossings that were somehow marked but were not describable with the other
tags, and now it is the leading value for "crossing".

> Please explain how crossing=marked is "very generic" and what value
> crossing=zebra adds.

crossing=zebra is about a zebra crossing, which is a typical kind of
pedestrian crossing in many countries (i.e. no traffic lights, zebra
markings, possibly zebra crossing signs, according to jurisdiction).
crossing=marked is about any marked crossing.

> Additionally, crossing=zebra is not an approved tag (according to the
> wiki),

and "It is not always clear what the intended meaning is when
> used outside of the UK". This doesn't seem like a tag we should be
> encouraging.

the wiki should be updated. It means a zebra crossing, and I do not believe
there is ambiguity in this, in the UK or in Europe.

> (ยน Pedantically, I suppose you could argue that crossing=zebra refers to
> a specific *form* of marking, i.e. repeated white stripes, while the
> approved crossing=uncontrolled could include crossings marked only by
> two parallel white lines. However, I would question the value added by
> mapping that distinction.)

the "approved" crossing=uncontrolled has bugged many mappers for years, and
I believe the current idea about the tag is that it should be avoided. The
word implies without markings (although a different meaning is defined).

Cheers
Martin