[Tagging] "width" on streets: Time for a recommendation

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Wed Sep 16 17:41:44 UTC 2020

>> On 15. Sep 2020, at 19:05, Jan Michel<jan at mueschelsoft.de>  wrote:
>>
>> If you want to tag how much space there is for some kind of vehicle moving in some direction, there are the specific width tags like width:lanes, sidewalk:width, cycleway:width, shoulder:width, verge:width
>> and so on.
>
> following your initial statement (all parts), you would include the verges in the width?

That's a difficult point. I'm not a friend of the 'verge' tag at all (as
opposed to the 'shoulder' which is an area traffic can make use of). It
was somehow invented and put to use in 2016, but as far as I know never
discussed. I definitely prefer to tag verges as separate objects - even
one of the examples in the Wiki shows a ~5m wide park like area with
trees to be tagged as verge. I think it's really far-fetched to call
this a part of the highway.

To answer your question - no, because I don't see verges as part of the
road.