[Tagging] Linking Sidewalks to Highways

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 12:54:47 UTC 2020

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 at 11:06, Supaplex <supaplex at riseup.net> wrote:

The problem remains that physically non-existent road crossings ("wildly
> crossing the street"), which in reality represent a crossing possibility
> for many users, are still not available for routing. In my opinion, this
> problem is not very relevant if separate ways are well mapped (which they
> often are unfortunately not!) and all essential routable connections are in
> the database. At the beginning and at the end of the route, people can use
> their brains ("destination across the street") if their routers do not
> solve this task for them.

This isn't as simple as you make out.  Assume that I am at point A and wish
go to point B, which involves a "wild crossing" at some point between the
two.
However, there is a real crossing at point C, a mile beyond point B,  A
router
will direct me to travel to point C (a mile further than my destination) in
order
to cross the road there, so I can then walk a mile back to B.

--
Paul