[Tagging] Linking Sidewalks to Highways

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 22:02:55 UTC 2020

I think I mentioned this already in this context: in many countries you are
not allowed to cross roads everywhere you like. In Italy, for example, you
are by law required to use cross-walks, unless they are further than 200m
from your actual position.
I know that this is very theoretical, but it could give us an idea to a
practical solution for separately mapped foot and/or cycleways.
1) Map all foot/cycle crossings.
2) In addition map the occasional connecting driveway or side-roads to make
reasonable foot and cycle routing possible.

Another aspect is the mapping of unmarked pedestrian crossings near road
junctions, in those countries where by law pedestrians are allowed to cross
near road junctions even if there is no painted or signposted crossing
(implicit crosswalks).

Mapping of sidewalks/sidepaths as part of the main road has all kinds of
problems, like width and surface tagging, the relative position of foot and
cycle paths, not to talk about roads like this
<https://www.mapillary.com/map/im/y18g65Xwqk45C_TruYIoGw>, where any system
breaks down.

Volker

Virus-free.