[Tagging] "width" on streets: Time for a recommendation

Jan Michel jan at mueschelsoft.de
Tue Sep 22 17:28:42 UTC 2020

Hi,
I think that's fine, with two remarks from my side:

You write "shoulder:width" but "sidewalk:<side>:width". It should be
made clear that <side> (left,right,both) can be used in all cases, but
is optional. E.g. there is no difference between sidewalk:width and
sidewalk:both:width.

"If the width cannot be measured exactly, but is only an estimation,
est_width=* should be used."
I disagree here - the obvious problem is how to define "exactly" and
"estimation". Why should the tag change depending on how precise the
mapping is? Should we have a "est_building" tag if we can't draw a
precise outline? How is "width" different?