[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Chapel of rest)

Paul Allen pla16021 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 23:14:22 UTC 2020

On Thu, 24 Sep 2020 at 23:51, Michael Patrick <geodesy99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The euphemistic 'Chapel of Rest' is more generically known as 'Viewing /
> Visitation Service', most commonly a room(s) where folks can pay their
> respects outside the ceremony itself,minimally with a guest registry,
> sometimes with scheduled hours, etc.

Problem 1.  "Viewing Service" is the name of a process, not the name
of the building or room it takes place in.  "Turn left after the Viewing
Service"
makes no sense, any more than "Turn right after the prayer" as an
alternative to "Turn right after the church."

Problem 2.  "Viewing service" implies some sort of formalized event,
probably religious with a speaker delivering a eulogy.  A Chapel of
Rest is for looking at a dead body, with no formal ceremony.  Possibly
in complete silence.  Possible with only one live person in the room.
Contrast this with a religious service, which has prayers, hymns,
a sermon, bouts of kneeling, etc.

Problem 3.  I've not encountered that term as a synonym for a chapel of
rest.  But I've not looked very hard.  Citation needed.

--
Paul