[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Chapel of rest)

Michael Patrick geodesy99 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 05:54:02 UTC 2020

> > Not pertinent.  The general policy is tags use British English.

Tom McArthur in the *Oxford Guide to World English*, British English shares
"all the ambiguities and tensions in the word 'British' and as a result can
be used and interpreted in two ways, more broadly or more narrowly, within
a range of blurring and ambiguity"
...  Leeds University stated:... that they were "very pleased"—and indeed,
"well chuffed"—at receiving their generous grant. He could, of course, have
been "bostin" if he had come from the Black Country, or if he was a Scouser
he would have been well "made up" over so many spondoolicks, because as a
Geordie might say, £460,000 is a "canny load of chink"

Perhaps you mean one of the many versions of 'Standard' English:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_English ?

Despite the large difference in area and population, there is far more
variation between UK Englishes than within the USA ( and probably Canada
also ).

> There is no requirement that they survive round trips through google
> translate.

Nor is there any requirement to use any number of linguistic tools to
determine
prevalence and alignment of meanings, but since OSM is an international
project,
my practice is to make it as easy as possible for non-native English users.

> [...]
> >> When it comes
> >> to funerals, however...
> >>
> https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0301-funeral-costs-and-pricing-checklist
> >> That's nice.  But it's not British English.  You can, however, use it
> >> to argue that editor translations for US English should use visitation
> >> for the preset name.
> >> Precisely.  CoR seems to be the commonest term for it.  And less
> >> ambiguous than "visitation" (people visit patients in hospitals) or
> >> "viewing" (people view paintings in art galleries).
> >> The first two are in the US.  The third gives me a "problem loading
> >> page"
> >> error.
> >> None of which are renowned for using British English.  Again, this is
> >> for editor preset translations.
> >>
> https://www.floridafuneralhome.com/Content/Media/FloridaFuneralHomeAndCrematory/Spa%20-%20Crem%20w%20View%202018-07-01.pdf
> >> Not pertinent.  The general policy is tags use British English.  There
> >> is no
> >> requirement that they survive round trips through google translate.
> >> --
> >> Paul
> >> Links:
> >> ------
> >> [1]
> >>
> https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0301-funeral-costs-and-pricing-checklist
> >> [2]
> https://funeralresources.com/resources/viewing-and-visitation-costs/
> >> [3] https://funerals.org/?consumers=read-funeral-home-price-list/
> >> [4] https://www.thefuneralsite.com/ResourceCenters/Costs/How_much.html
> >> [5]
> >>
> https://www.floridafuneralhome.com/Content/Media/FloridaFuneralHomeAndCrematory/Spa%20-%20Crem%20w%20View%202018-07-01.pdf
> >> [6] https://www.colinphillipsfunerals.com/our-services/private-chapel/
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2020 19:17:36 +0100
> From: Paul Allen <pla16021 at gmail.com>
> To: "Tag discussion, strategy and related tools"
>         <tagging at openstreetmap.org>
> Subject: Re: [Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (Chapel of rest)
>
> On Sun, 27 Sep 2020 at 18:56, Peter Elderson <pelderson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Funeral viewing room sounds like a room where you can view the funeral. I
> > suspect modern ones have very large screens and nice sound effects.
> >

> And perhaps even grandstands.
>
> Funerals generally include the final disposition of the body.  Watching the
> coffin being lowered into the grave.  Watching the coffin roll along the
> conveyor belt to disappear behind a curtain (and maybe the sound of
> the gas jets firing up).
>
> So if it's a room at a cemetery from where you can watch the coffin being
> lowered into the grave then maybe there is also a grandstand.
>
> I'd say that "funeral viewing room" is a bad way of attempting to
> describe a chapel of rest.  "Pre-funeral viewing room" would be

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>