[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - electricity:source

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 29 14:56:17 UTC 2020

Hi Lukas,

You do realise that all electricity is the same, irrespective of how it
is generated? The "greenness" or otherwise is not determined by the
connection, but by the subscription/contract that the consumer has with
their supplier.

UNLESS they have a standalone generating capability, like PV or wind
turbine that is not connected to the grid.

On 2020-09-29 16:00, Lukas Richert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to propose a new tag that defines the source of publicly available electricity: electricity:source [1]
>
> This could be used as an additional information tag on amenities that provide electricity for public consumption, such as bike/car charging stations or camp sites. Many charging stations have nearby solar or use green pricing tariffs. I've also seen camp sites and harbours advertise this.
>
> This topic came up as a group wanted to plan a bike tour using e-bikes but only with renewable energy. I noticed that there appears to be no easy way to filter for the source of the electricity provided.
>
> Potential discussion: It's not quite clear to me whether power_supply or electricity is preferred for this type of application. It might also be interesting for consumers to see which buildings are powered by green electricity if this is something a store or similar advertises. So it may be worth expanding the proposal to electricity used by the public even if not directly available (e.g. lighting in a store).
>
> Best regards, Lukas

Links:
------
[1]