[Tagging] Clubhouse vs Community Centre

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 05:50:31 UTC 2021

On Wed, 31 Mar 2021 at 23:03, nathan case <nathancase at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> A question has arisen out of Fizzie41’s proposed military cadet work [1]
> about how to tag the building in which the cadets would meet as. But it
> holds more widely than that.

Thanks! Been intending to get that moving again.

My concern with this approach is that a private building, which is used
> exclusively by one club only, and holds no other “community” events cannot
> possibly be called a community centre. It is, and should be stored as, a
> clubhouse.
>

> A community centre will often (though not always) be owned by a local
> government organisation, e.g. parish council, or national charity body,
> e.g. YMCA. It will host local community events (e.g. town hall sessions),
> be used by multiple clubs, and be available for hire for private functions
> (e.g. birthday celebrations). Of course, some clubs do meet in community
> centres and, in those cases, the building should obviously be tagged as a
> community centre.

Agree entirely.

 Is this situation OK as is, or should we consider amenity=clubhouse or
> building=clubhouse (both already exist) as options for buildings in which a
> single club operates from?

Either of those would be a good choice, although I have a preference to
amenity=clubhouse, which gets away from the frequent comment of What does a
clubhouse look like?

Thanks

Graeme