[Tagging] multiple schools on one plot

Mark Wagner mark+osm at carnildo.com
Thu Apr 1 18:39:15 UTC 2021

On Thu, 1 Apr 2021 14:47:08 +0200
Robin Burek <robin.burek at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hey everybody,
>
> in a chat of the german community we have discussed the problem, that
> in some locations we have two or more school on one plot/ground.
> Sometimes they use the same buildings.
> So you have a "school area" and two or three schools.
>
> There were the problem, that often the "school area" (as an area) and
> the schools (marked as nodes) get the amenity=school-tags. So when you
> have two schools, there are three amenity=school-tags. How would you
> handle this? We (the german chat group) aggreed, that this technique
> is not fitting, but there is no better method.
>
> I would propose there to use the tagging-schema:
>
>  1. only one school -> you *can *add landuse=school to the
>     amenity=school-Area but it isn't required.
>  2. When on one plot are multiple schools -> landuse=school for the
> plot and 1. seperate nodes with amenity=school for every school or
>      2. when only one building used by one school - amenity=school on
>         the building=school

Two schools on one area (or three on one area) is an extremely common
situation in the rural United States.  I usually map it as follows:

1) `amenity=school` on the school grounds, with no name unless it has
its own distinct name (uncommon).
2) `building=school` on the school buildings, again with no name unless
the building itself has a name (very uncommon).
3) `amenity=school` on a node near the entrance for each school, with
the name and other information for that school.

See the Sprague schools for an example of this in use: the high-school
entrance is on the north side of the shared building, while the
elementary-school entrance is on the east side.

Mark