[Tagging] multiple schools on one plot

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu Apr 1 19:34:06 UTC 2021

On 4/1/2021 8:47 AM, Robin Burek wrote:

> I would propose there to use the tagging-schema:
>
>  1. only one school -> you *can *add landuse=school to the
>     amenity=school-Area but it isn't required.
>  2. When on one plot are multiple schools -> landuse=school for the
>     plot and
>      1. seperate nodes with amenity=school for every school or
>      2. when only one building used by one school - amenity=school on
>         the building=school

Hi Robin.

I see this problem plenty in NYC as well -- property with one or more
buildings which are shared by multiple schools. Usually it isn't
possible to tell which portions of the property are used by which
schools, so I map one amenity=school node for each school, placed
somewhere inside the most prominent building.

It makes sense to me to tag the school grounds with a landuse. The wiki
says to use amenity=school as a pseudo-landuse tag for the whole area,
but that seems wrong to me -- I don't want to map three schools when
only two exist!

I'd prefer landuse=education to landuse=school, but landuse=school is
much more popular (due some imports I think.)

Jason