[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC -mass rock

Anne-Karoline Distel annekadistel at web.de
Sat Apr 3 09:41:14 UTC 2021

I know the historic tag is very controversial and unfortunately, this is
the area I have proposed and will in future propose tags.

I agree that it has been "abused" for features that barely have historic
relevance, however I believe that in the case of mass rocks which served
as places of worship for 200 (TWO HUNDRED) years because Catholics were
oppressed and every time they went to mass, they did so fearing for
their lives, mass rocks are an element that is indicative for that
period in time and thus have historic value. (I'm not sure I'm using all
the right words here, but I hope you get my drift.) Memorials being
found near them is a modern day indicator of the historic value being
attributed to the place. (And the memorial is much less historic than
the location itself.) However, in such remote areas, memorials being
erected is very much dependent on an active community interested in
their heritage, i.e. local history group or priest interested in
history. Adding a note to the map would be much cheaper and easier to
organise. ;-)

Fortunately, I haven't found any reference to a massacre near a mass
rock, but from what I read in the school collection (linked on proposal
page), that possibility was very much present at the time.