[Tagging] RFC - Discourage railway=preserved

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Wed Apr 7 10:14:28 UTC 2021

Apr 5, 2021, 16:40 by mail at jeroenhoek.nl:

> On 05-04-2021 16:25, Mateusz Konieczny via Tagging wrote:
>
>> Has anyone claimed that railway=preserved should be preserved?
>>

> I've asked a mapper whose specialty is maintaining railways in the
> Netherlands, and they indicated that the lack of rendering in Carto
> holds them back from migrating to the newer standard. Carto has an issue:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2615
>
> Would a patch that at least adds the same rendering as
> `railway=preserved` for `railway=rail` + `railway:preserved=yes` be
> accepted in Carto at this point?

Note "Database layout change" part - right now this tag is not in a database
used for rendering :(

So it may require changing in database import definition and deployment will
be definitely delayed and/or more complicated.

Though it is also possible that OSM Carto has no need for yet another barely
distinguishable and unclear rendering difference, maybe railway=preserved
special rendering should be dropped?